Thursday, October 30, 2008

Green tech rising

My dad sent me this NYT mag article, Capitalism to the Rescue, to cheer me up about investment. It's about Kleiner-Perkins, the venture capital firm that funded Google and now invests in scientists working on renewable energy. I find it inspiring as a former/ maybe-future scientist, to learn that this progressive, pro-fundamental science current is so strong in America's financial world. The money-gamblers aren't all cynics, some have hope to invest in basic science exploration. Here's an inspiring American financial story in the midst of the economic meltdown. It's an interesting point that the reason, other than Wall Street, that the U.S. financial world is unique is based in California, not New York. It's our venture capital/ tech/ science culture, and it's the reason why I've never been sold on the case people make that American cultural influence in general is on the wane worldwide. We're at a cutting edge that matters.

No comments: